I feel like I’ve aged about thirty years since I turned 25. Not necessarily physically, though I do have my fair share of poppin’ joints. It’s more of a mental game changer. I’ve always been an old soul and I’ve owned that proudly, but the last few weeks, I’ve taken it to a whole new level.
I’ve received two mailers from AARP in the last two weeks. What’s up with that? As much as I’d love that free bag for membership, I’m about 30 years away from being eligible!
- I purchased water shoes and started water walking after work. For those of you who don’t know, basically, people ages 40+…and me walk the lazy river (with or against the current, your choice) at the local pool. I’m seriously considering joining a water aerobics class once the pools close for the season. I smile so much more when I’m walking laps with people 30 years my senior than I do when I run. There’s something to it, people. Try it.
- I dance in the car without shame…like a dad in the school pickup lane. I sing in the aisles of the grocery store. Life’s too short to be ashamed of enjoying the little things, my friends. When I Want it That Way comes on, there’s no stopping me! 😀
- I went on several roller coasters and spent the next week a bit dizzy and out of whack. Also, I can’t swing on a swingset anymore without getting motion sick. How ridiculous. I’m definitely not 16 anymore.
- I don’t like to leave my apartment after dark. Now, this isn’t because I’m afraid to drive at night. I’ve become more of a homebody over the years and don’t feel like leaving once I get settled in.
- My poor circulation has prompted me to come up with a new motto. Function over fashion. Hoodies over dresses? Been there, done that. Socks with sandals, here I come! There’s no hope for cute tank tops and shorts this summer. Give me some flannels and Cosby sweaters. I need all the warmth I can get in these air-conditioned buildings!
- I’m going to start a letter writing group. I’m old school. Pen and paper feed the soul. Long live snail mail!
- My goal before the marathon is to touch my toes…Dreaming big, folks!
- Also, I can’t just run miles, come home, and live life. I have to foam roll and stretch and listen to my body. It’s not nearly as forgiving as it once was.
- I got pseudo asked out by an 80-year-old man the other day. I may be an old soul, but come on! That’s taking it a bit too far, don’t you think!? I’m not one to frown upon age gaps, but I’d say 55 years is a few too many.
- My grandma used to drink Boost and Ensure for nutrients. I think I’m going to have to jump on that bandwagon. I can’t seem to get all my calories and nutrients into my body these days.
- I’m totally out of touch with pop culture. With no internet or cable, I don’t really follow what’s going on in the world. I watch movies and read books, but I’m definitely not up on the latest trends or happenings.
- I wake up with mysterious bruises on my body.